Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The First Female Bloggers Meeting

July, 21st 2007 marked the first female bloggers meeting, or at least the very first I attended. Us gals met in Dulce cafe (I hope I'm saying the name right) at 11am. Me being myself and Bahraini on top of that arrived a few, ok more like 20, minutes late. A lady blogger arrived much later than myself (towards the end really) but with a genuinely good excuse: she came straight from work. I however, was stuffing myself at a breakfast buffet in Veranda. What can I say, old habits die hard...

Ok, back to the meeting; it was quite good! I expected it to be either dreadful or great. Fortunately, it turned out to be the latter. I enjoyed meeting my fellow female bloggers and am even planning to attend the regular one. I hope I remember to. There were some that I really looked forward to meet but din't quite make it. Maybe next time girls, huh? Others, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they are female bloggers. Girl power, yay!

The turn out was good, 8 of us there I think. I met some ladies that I can see myself befriending! I am a sucker for potential! Time flew away and before we knew it 3 hrs passed.

The meeting reaffirmed my belief that I should never judge a book by its cover. Or in this case, never judge a book cover by the its contents. It is amazing how one forms notions of another's appearance and behavior based on their writings. You expect them to be and look a certain way and boom! You meet in person and they are not at all how you thought they would be. It is funny how quick we are to peg someone.

I also decided to read more arabic blogs. I am missing out on some really good blogs.

All in all the ladies were very friendly, funny, interesting and intelligent. A wonderful meeting of minds.

Ladies, here is to all you gals, may we continue to successfully and happily blog away and may friendships blossom out of our experiences.

7 comments:

Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

Excellent! Well done to the organisers and the attendees.. and thanks GoS for reporting it.

Anonymous said...

In contrary to some bloggers expectations this meeting was fun, interesting and intelligent :)

Lets do it on montly basis and I am sure that more female bloggers will join us next time.

NewMe said...

so glad i managed to attend...
at some point i was losing fate in our youth...
but this gathering brought a lot of energy and happiness...
such fine ladies with beautiful minds...
so lucky we have met...
i see hope and i see light...
keep it up...
i agree with u never judge a book by its cover...
wishing you love :)
cheers...

Um Naief said...

you know, i've been guilty of doing just that... judging a book by its cover... and i agree... it's not good to do that.

i had such a wonderful time at the meeting. everyone was so nice, intelligent, funny, full of life, open minded... and what thrilled me the most is how the conversation never slowed down.

usually i put myself in the "shy" boat... but i felt so at ease. it's a really nice change.

i can't wait for the next one... gosh.. wouldn't it be great if we had the best blog gatherings of all! ;)

it was wonderful meeting you Gardens of Sand!

Gardens of Sand said...

Mahmood, thanks a bunch, you know, we wouldn't be here w/o you. You provide us with the platform where we can all share and enjoy eachother's thoughts. You know I dunno if I ever mentioned it but yours was the first blog that I ever came across!

Butterfly: it was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed reading your blog. I promise to swing by more often and yes we should have some sort of monthly meetings.

Newme: I did check out your blog. Lovely poetry. Guess what? I still like you, must be something with me huh? Seriously though, like your writing gal, dunno why u think some won't...

Um Naief: I always think I am shy too. I usually get one of these roll eyes in head looks and "you are definately NOT shy!!" I know I said this before, but I really am glad to have met you in person!

Anonymous said...

Although being the one who joined towards the end of the meeting, I'm still glad I went anyway. It was nice meeting you all, surprising in a way as I knew some of the youoffline, but never knew they were who they were online!

SoulSearch said...

I was really disappointed to have missed it. I would have loved to be there. Maybe next time.