Monday, August 06, 2007

A Good Wake Up Call

I was asked about my studies during the last bloggers meeting. After explaining that I am furthering my studies in the fields of economics, someone asked me what my thesis was about. Well, to be honest, I do not have one yet, still working on it as I have yet to start my classes. I explained a little about what I want my thesis to be on and what I hope to accomplish. Bint Battuta asked me if I ever read the works of Hernando De Soto.

Hernando who, was the first question that popped into my mind. I must've said it out loud because BB said that he is a Peruvian economist and explained a little of his ideas. I googled his name as soon as I got to a pc and read more. Thanks BB for the heads up!

Well now I am good and worried. Here I am embarking on in-depth study of a field, about to become an expert in it mind you, and don't even have the slightest idea about the movers and shakes of this field. Instead of taking economics and math classes as my advisor suggested, I hopped on the first plan back to Bahrain...

You see, economics isn't my undergraduate major and I only have two introductory courses under my belt. To say my knowledge in economics is lacking is being extremely kind. To put it bluntly, I know that once classes start I will suffer. BAD. But, God willing I am determined to make it.

I think De Soto served as a good wake up call. I needed a swift kick in the behind to remind me of what I need to do to get ready for college. It doesn't mean I am not worried though. Oh well!

10 comments:

June said...

I know exactly how you feel. My undergrad degree was in banking and finance but I decided to do my master's in law. It is a kick in the behind, it's challenging, it's scary, it's tough. But totally do-able. Good luck with it all.

bint battuta said...

Let me straight away admit that I know virtually nothing about economics! In fact de Soto's book is one of the few that I've read. By the way, you can read the first chapter here:
http://www.ild.org.pe/eng/mystery_english.htm
His ideas might link in with the general area you said you would be focusing on.
I'm impressed that from a passing question you looked him up...
And here's another site about 'alternative' economics that has some good resources:
http://www.zmag.org/parecon/indexnew.htm
I think you'll be fine - you're smart, and obviously work hard. Just stick at it, and you're bound to do well.

Ammaro said...

Its great that you've decided to take economics; its a good major. Sure, it might not be what you've studied previously, but that isn't very strange; maybe people start studying something and then down the line decide that perhaps that isn't what they want to do, or perhaps they have a calling somewhere else. What does need to be done from your side however, is more research; read up on the history of economics, keep updated with news, take a few basic economics books and go through them. Its not difficult, it just needs a bit of effort. Also, read The Economist magazine; excellent publication, and preferably subscribe to it. Good luck!

Um Naief said...

i think you can do it. study hard... put your mind, heart and soul behind what you really want.

might take a little longer but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Gardens of Sand said...

June: thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. Best of luck in your masters, I hope you do gr8!

BB: You are just so nice! I will check out these sources. You question was a good wake up call, got mr right back from la la land. It's 'bout time I buckled down and did some reading.

Ammar: thanks for taking the time to read my blog, I know I am repeating myself but gosh, you are all so nice. I am always surprised when someone leaves a comment! Your comment is right on,I studied accounting and finance for my undergrad only to find myself bored to death by auditing once I got outta college. Economics has always interested me, but the 3 colleges I went to for undergrad and masters did not offer it as a separate degree. Better late than never I guess.

Um Naief: we are finally meeting face to face again! Should be fun. You are right, I can do it if I work hard. I keep telling myself, a year in the grand scheme of things is such a short time.

Seroo said...

Everyone needs a wake up call every now and then, I'm sure you're doing fine my dear, take this is a blessing in disguise :) you'll do well, just keep at it! xx

Anonymous said...

Admitting that you don't know everything about everything --unlike dozens of people we come across everyday -- is a good start and your determination to open new frontiers and learn new things will go a long way! All the best!

Ammaro said...

haven't heard from you. are you busy with keeping up on your economics?

Gardens of Sand said...

Sorry for taking so long to comment back, it's a long story and all I can say is my dentists (a couple!) SUCK!!!:

Seroo: you are so sweet dear thanks for stopping by. And you are right it was a blessing.

SBG: Welcome back girl! Where have you been, been laughing with your posts, it is really good to have you blogging again.

Ammar: Oh I had the most awful time because of my dentists! Thanks for asking about me. Enjoy reading your posts so much. Now that I am back in the States, I guess I'll be ranting, opps, posting more often.

Ammaro said...

looking forward to it :)