Thursday, September 04, 2008

Bahraini Women Don't Work!

Have you heard the latest news? We, Bahraini women do not work! Nops not a single one of us. Not only do we not want to, we surely don't need to. Why? Because we are all sitting on oil fields. Where the luckier ones of the world have blue circles in the back yards, we in Bahrain have black circles, brimming full of oil instead of the aqua blue.

So I was told today by a coworker who apparently heard the above from the mouth of an Arab coworker. One who was amazed, that I, Gardens in all my riches and glory, would stoop so low as to work a 9 to 5 job. It is simply not done! Beneath me!

Yup, I work because my job is my hobby; I am a glutton for punishment. I can't get enough of the snobbery, incompetence, buffonery, medicoreness, and laziness that I deal with everyday at work.

Or maybe I work so I can look down my Bahraini nose at those working to feed mouths and clothe bodies, while I choose to work on a whim.

Whatever my frivilous reasons to work, I apparently broke the rule as we Bahraini women simply don't work. It's just not done!

6 comments:

SoulSearch said...

Gardens, I am appalled. That is appalling to hear, while I sit at my desk working my a*s off all day all week long, comments like these come crashing down on me. While this Arab co-worker may think he/she is the only hard working tut on the block, they need to take back that comment immediately. I can't accept that. Our office is full of Bahraini women who are the most hard working I've ever seen. At the same time we have Europeans who prefer to take 3 hour lunch breaks and come in to the office late and don't really care about the country or the company simply because, its not home!
We have thousands of shining stars of women in Bahrain who work because they have to, because they want to, or becasue they need to. It doesn't matter. As long as they work with a conscience.

Love,
SoulSearch

Urang Awak said...

Dear Garden, I am surprised to read such comment from this Arab co-worker. I have been living in BAhrain for almost 2 years and I believe his/her opinion does not count here. I have seen more and more Bahraini women work in many fields and beside he/she forget that Bahrain is the most liberal countries in the region. Women have more freedom here than other part of Middle East.

Fatema Abuidrees said...

This is soo typical. Sad yet true. The minute anyone finds out that i am from the "Arabian Gulf" first thing that kicks into their head is the word "RICH". Immediatly i am stereotyped by others to thing i am some kind of milionnaire! uhhh.. soo agravating!

Gardens of Sand said...

SS, it is appalling indeed. You would think that a fellow Arab would keep his misguided notions to himself, but noo, even that is too much to ask for.

Urang, thanks for stopping by,for some reason, we are so wrongly perceived by the world! I love your blog by the way. You take great pics. :)

HMS, thanks for stopping by, what is sad is that this notion of us, rich, spoilt, lazy, etc is shared by the west and our fellow arabs alike!

Anonymous said...

How dreadful!!!

Wat annoys me is that they think "Gulfies" are all RICH and were born with a golden spoon in there mouth and dnt need to work and if they work they dnt take it seriously and are not committed ~

Being stereotyped in your own country man it sux!!! I get that alot esp. if they also know that am from Dubai!!!

Tikno said...

You have great articles. I'm glad find your blog